- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1dl (3½ oz) sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 5 egg whites
- 1dl (3 oz) cloudberries
- 4 soufflé ramekins
- butter and sugar for the ramekins
- Heat the oven to 390°F/200°C.
- Mix lime juice, water and sugar in a saucepan. Cut the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the saucepan. Bring to the boil, and boil until the sugar has melted. Then pass the mix through a sieve.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, using a mixer. Add the sugar syrup carefully while still whisking. Keep whisking for around 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the cloudberries. Be sure to save some for garnish.
- Brush the soufflé ramekins—ovenproof coffee cups may be used—with some melted butter and coat them with sugar. Ladle the mix into the ramekins and bake in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Garnish with cloudberries.
The recipe was created by Marcus Samuelsson. Marcus Samuelsson was born in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia in 1970, and adopted by Swedish parents at the age of three. Set on becoming a chef early on in life, Samuelsson had his breakthrough as chef for well-reputed New York restaurant Aquavit in the mid-1990s with his Scandinavian cooking.
Today, he is involved in several restaurants, among them the Swedish Aquavit restaurant in Stockholm, is a guest professor at Umeå University School of Restaurant and Culinary Arts, and has written several inspiring cook books. Samuelsson was also chosen as guest chef for US President Barack Obama’s first official state dinner.