It’s been a long week of celebration and good food; too much good food. On Christmas Eve we indulged in the traditional Swedish meal of Julbord (literally, Christmas table) and a few days later I knocked up a traditional English Christmas lunch of roast turkey, roast potatoes, sausages in bacon, gravy, bread and cranberry sauces, roasted veggies and a brandy-flamed Christmas pudding to finish. Read more » >>
Tag archives for christmas
Today was (is) Lucia day in Sweden. It’s a major event for everyone, but particularly for people with children. Essentially it is a re-working of a pagan winter festival to let in a little good light to the evil darkness of winter. In its modern form, it’s a time to beckon in the Christmas season, hear your children sing and watch them line up in white nightdresses with candles on their heads. Read more » >>
- 1kg (2 lbs) lutefisk, boiled
- 1 kg (2 lbs) fava beans, stringed
- 700g (1½ lbs) green peas, cut lengthwise
- 700g (1½ lbs) snow peas, cut a little on the slant.
- ½kg (1 lb) butter
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Brown the butter. Mix in vinegar, salt and allspice. Mix with beans and fish.
- Serve: Slice some red onion onions thinly and marinate them in 1-2-3 brine with some whole white and black pepper corns and bay leaves.
- Arrange as shown.
- 1 salted ham, 2-3 kg (4,5-6,5 lbs) or a ready-cooked one
- Mustard coating:
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons Swedish sweet mustard
- 2 slices of fresh white bread
- ½-1 dl (1/4-1/2 cup) dried breadcrumbs
- Set the oven to 175°C/350°F. Wrap the ham in aluminium foil and place it in an oven-proof dish. Bake till the inner temperature reaches 68°C/155°F.
- Save the pan juice for “dopp i grytan”.
- A precooked ham can be grilled immediately.
- Grilling: Raise the oven temperature to 225°C/440°F. Mix the egg yolks and mustard together.
- Run the bread in the food processer after removing the crusts. Add the bread to the mustard mixture. Spread this on the ham and sift the dried breadcrumbs ocer it.
- Grill the ham in the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes, turning it from time to time for even grilling. Watch the time, so nothing gets burned.