Swedes living on the west coast of this lovely land have easy access to a great variety of fresh fish. Here on the east coast, we are not so lucky. The brackish waters of the Baltic offer up a more limited choice. Perhaps that explains the high consumption of meat in this part of the world. Not that I’m complaining; health-scares be damned. I love meat. Read more » >>
Tag archives for apple
As the last glowing embers of barbecue season begin to die down, so to speak, it’s nice to cram in as many grilling sessions as you can. But Monday to Thursday grilling, for a family man with a job, can be too time consuming. Read more » >>
We eat a lot of meat in our house and almost never fish. It’s a shame, because I love fish. But the problem with living on the east coast of Sweden is that unless you want pre-packed frozen fillets, herring or farmed salmon, it’s difficult to get good, really fresh and affordable fish. Read more » >>
- 8 apples
- 200g (7 oz) sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 400g (14 oz) spice bread (blended into crumbs)
- 200g (7 oz) butter
- 5 dl (2 cups) milk
- 5 dl (2 cups) cream
- 2 vanilla beans, scored lengthways and seeds removed
- 9 egg yolks
- 180 g (6½ oz) sugar
- Peel and cut the apples into wedges and put on a oven trey or in individual serving dishes.
- Quickly fry the crumbs with sugar and butter, add the cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Cover the apples with the crumbs and bake at 130°C/265°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Bring the milk, cream and the vanilla beans, both seeds and beans, to the boil.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together.
- Strain the milk and cream mixture on to the eggs and sugar and simmer on medium heat to 85°C/185°F, while constantly stiring!
- Chill in ice bath and run in the ice cream machine.
Yesterday was Sunday; nothing unusual with that. I spent five hours in the office; there’s something very wrong with that. When I came home I watered my vegetables (my peas are up, by the way), as I do every day these days. Then something happened. I had what amounts to a mini mid-life crisis. Read more » >>