Swedish Institute Alumni Network with support of Swedish Embassy in Belarus and Belarusian Republican Confederation of Entrepreneurship invites you to take part in the interactive seminar Doing well by doing good: social entrepreneurship in Belarus and Sweden followed by a networking ‘fika’. Please see the invitation from your fellow alumni below:
Social entrepreneurs are individuals with innovative solutions to society’s most pressing social problems. Rather than leaving societal needs to the government or business sectors, social entrepreneurs find what is not working and solve the problem by changing the system, spreading the solution, and persuading entire societies to move in different directions. Just as entrepreneurs change the face of business, social entrepreneurs act as the change agents for society, seizing opportunities others miss to improve systems, invent new approaches, and create solutions to change society for the better.
In our interactive seminar we want to look into the notion of social entrepreneurship in 2 countries: Belarus and Sweden. The main idea is to see how this trend in modern society is developing, what challenges and problems social entrepreneurs in both countries face. What are the interesting examples and success stories. The ultimate aim would be to increase the awareness about this type of entrepreneurship, share experience, support exchange of ideas and contacts.
The networking fika will combine the SI Belarus alumni get-together and also a pre-departure for newly granted scholarship holders from Belarus.
Speaker from Sweden:
Yvonne von Friedrichs, PhD, Visiting professor at Nord-Trøndelag University College, professor in business administration and entrepreneurship at Mid Sweden University.
She will give an introduction and main areas of social entrepreneurship in Sweden, main trends and influences, her research in social entrepreneurship and local/regional development and growth.
Speakers from Belarus:
1) Ivan Gordievsky, businessman with 25 years of experience, also runs a consumer co-operative for mutual financial aid, active member of Minsk Entrepreneurs Union. He is also the director of Leliva fund, which is involved in the volunteer reconstruction of historical places in Belarus. Finally, he is one of the developers of national business platform in Belarus. He will give a speech about the Social Entrepreneurship in Belarus, problems, challenges, success stories and examples.
2) Tatyana Yakovleva, a social entrepreneur, runs the association “Children. Autism. Parents”. She will tell about their current project “Happy Home” for people with autism. The official webisite of the association http://autism.by/
Who can take part in the event?
- Former Swedish Institute scholarship holders
- SI Management Programme Northern Europe (SIMP) Alumni
- Previous participants of the Swedish Institute Summer University (SISU)
- Former students of Swedish language at universities, or SI-supported centers for Swedish Studies
- New and current SI scholarship holders
- Social entrepreneurs, anyone interested in Social Entrepreneurship
Sunday, June, 22, 2014.
Seminar: IMAGURU Startup Hub, Fabritsiusa st., 4 Minsk http://imaguru.co/en/about
Fika: café Verhni Gorad, Svobody square, 4 Minsk
How to register?
Send your name and last name, mobile number and relation to the Swedish Institute and/or occupation to this email address